Single Reed v. double Reed duck calls

http://ut.ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic472105.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By bb4939 - 11/1/2006 11:19:20 AM
Can someone help me in explaining the differences between these two types of calls?  Are they designed for different uses ect?
By Garwood - 11/1/2006 11:38:22 AM
a double reed is somewhat quieter with a more raspy sound to it, i think that it gives more realistic duck sounds.  its good to use  a double reed when ducks are workin close in.  A single reed i much louder and is for more big open water bc it can be heard farther away.  it takes more control to make the single reed sound good.  other than that it really doesnt matter as long as you practice and can sound like a real duck.  personal preference.
By Duke6017 - 11/1/2006 12:34:32 PM
A double reed and a single reed differ in many ways.  Doubles are great beginner calls.  But this does not mean that they should be considered "beginner calls".  What I mean is if you are going to start duck calling you should start with a double reed.  But if you are an experienced duck caller it does not mean you should not be blowing a double reed.  Doubles allow a caller to get a good duck sound with out using as much voice as a single requires.  Thus the double is more forgiving then a single, the reason why I say it is a great beginners call.  The double is going to quieter call and you will not have the range in both volume and tone that a single can offer.

Single reeds require the caller to blow the call using voice to give the call some raspiness.  A single reed will be louder and will allow the caller to sound like more then just one duck.  Where a double reed limits your ability to switch tones.  This being said I prefer a single reed due to its versatility but I always have a double reed hanging next it on my lanyard. 
By rlsiv - 11/2/2006 8:07:51 PM
I have both on my lanyard.  Single is much louder and more versatile, and I find it much easier to produce a feeding chuckle - I primarily use the single reed RNT Orig. as my main call.
I use my double reed when ducks are in close, or if I've got hens or a small flock in my decoy - keep them entertained by alternating call types while the larger flocks come in.
Learning on the double reed was easier for me, but I quickly found out it doesn't have nearly the range of a good single.
By tenner10 - 11/2/2006 11:34:04 PM
im 18 and have been calling ducks for about 4 years and when i first started i thought that the double reed was harder for me to blow. so i have used the single the whole time. now that i am better i sometimes go back to the double but for the most part it is the single. you just have ot learn how to voice the call that is the most difficult. then its knowing when and how hard to call.