The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) will again offer new hunters the opportunity to participate during Discover Louisiana Hunting (DLH)
promotional hunting days
Thanksgiving weekend, Nov. 24-26.
“We’re encouraging both Louisiana residents and non-residents, 16 years of age and older, to experience recreational hunting for the first time or enjoy the sport again with a DLH permit,” said LDWF Secretary Dwight Landreneau.
Program participants must obtain a DLH permit online through www.discoverlouisianahunting.com before Nov. 20. To ensure a safe experience for DLH participants and fellow outdoorsmen, hunter education certification is required and participants must also partner with a licensed Louisiana resident hunter who will serve as a host hunter. DLH permit applicants can begin using the on-line permit request system starting Sept. 1.
All interested participants who need to obtain hunter education certification are urged to sign up for a class in a location near their home town. A list of courses around the state is available on the DLH Web site -- www.discoverlouisianahunting.com. An on-line version of the course is available through the DLH Web site or a CD-ROM version can be obtained by calling the LDWF office nearest the participant. Participants should have completed or be enrolled in a hunter education class by Oct. 31. Hunter education courses are free and certification obtained in another state will be accepted.
During the Discover Louisiana Hunting weekend, only quail, rabbit, squirrel and deer can be hunted by DLH-permitted hunters. For daily bag and possession limits, and deer zone restrictions, refer to the 2006-07 Louisiana Hunting Season and WMA Regulations Booklet or go to www.discoverlouisianahunting.com and click on “Regulations.”
The DLH permit offer is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Once a participant utilizes the no-cost weekend hunting option, appropriate licenses and permits must be obtained for all future hunting trips in Louisiana.
Any interested participant without Internet access can call any of the following LDWF offices Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., for permit application assistance:
- Alexandria: 1995 Shreveport Hwy., Pineville, LA 71360; ph. 318-487-5885
- Baton Rouge: 2000 Quail Drive, Baton Rouge, LA 70808; ph. 225-765-2346
- Ferriday: 261 Wildlife & Fishery Road, Ferriday, LA 71334; ph. 318-757-4571
- Grand Chenier: 5476 Grand Chenier Hwy., Grand Chenier, LA 70643; ph. 337-538-2276
- Lake Charles: 1213 North Lakeshore Dr., Lake Charles, LA 70601; ph. 337-491-2575
- Minden: 1401 Talton Street, Minden, LA 71055; ph. 318-371-3050
- Monroe: 368 Century Tel Drive, Monroe, LA 71203; ph. 318-343-4044
- New Iberia: 2415 Darnall Road, New Iberia, LA 70560; ph. 337-373-0032
- Opelousas: 5652 Highway 182, Opelousas, LA 70570; ph. 337-948-0255
DLH Weekend supporting sponsors and partners include: Academy Sports & Outdoors, Bass Pro Shops/Bossier City, Bayou State Bowhunters Association, Bowie Outfitters, Delta Waterfowl, Ducks Unlimited, Hunter’s Run Gun Club, Louisiana Wildlife & Fisheries Foundation, Louisiana Wildlife Federation, National Wild Turkey Federation and Safari Club International.