Serves 4. Makes about 40 bite-size snacks.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 ounces ground duck/goose
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 cup chopped ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 teaspoon (canned) chopped jalapeno chile
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Oil for deep frying
- 6 (5- to 6-inch) corn tortillas
- 2 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat and brown the ground meats.
- Add 1/4 cup minced onion, green pepper and garlic and saute until softened.
- Add the chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Turn the heat off and add the sour cream.
- Cover and set aside.
- Combine the tomatoes, 1/2 cup chopped onion, jalapeño chile and cilantro. Mix well.
- Preheat oil in a deep fryer.
- Cut each tortilla into 8 wedges.
- When the oil is hot, dip each segment into the hot oil and fry until crisp, about 3 or 4 minutes each.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Spread some of the meat mixture on the tortilla chips, then a bit of the cheese, and top with the salsa.