Chasing waterfowl means going where the birds are – and that can mean running the big waters in winter. Whether it is a large river or lake, the dangers involved can be extreme and keeping these safety tips in mind, could save you and your hunting partner’s lives.
- Always wear Coast Guard approved life vests.
- Make sure your motor is within the regulations approved for the boat.
- Keep an eye on weather developments. Even something as simple as a shifting wind can cause conditions on big water to change for the worst.
- Have a first aid kit in the boat at all times.
- Have a mobile phone or two way radio of some kind. Being able to call for help immediately could save lives when things go wrong.